Sunday, May 04, 2008

Makin' At The Maker Faire

I went to the Make Faire on Saturday to help Lara out with a booth, and also to see the coolest DIY gathering ever. I wish I could have gone both days, and I wish I was cool enough to have invented something and be an exhibitor/Maker. Being at the Faire was so inspiring and exciting. I definitely want to be a part of it next year somehow, whether it's volunteering or exhibiting or whatever. I loved it. The exuberance of creativity was astonishing and overwhelming, and it just made me so happy to see all the cool things that people make. (I really, really want a fixer-upper house now, even more than before...)

A few random photos... these are not very good. It was very crowded and things were sort of hard to photograph for various reasons. But, you'll get the idea.

This is the Busycle. I wanted to try it out but wasn't there in time to 'load up'.

Here it is in action.

I loved the crazy cycle contraptions that were everywhere. I think my favorite things at the faire were definitely the alternative transportation ideas. I really want a scooter (foot-powered!) more than ever!

What was so cool was that it wasn't just exhibits -- it was hands-on learning and doing and making. You could actually sit down and make something right there. I love that. Here is a woman making finger puppets.

One of the more adorable alternative-transportations were these cupcake-mobiles. (I have the wrong light setting on this, I think). Hop inside, pop on a whipped-cream hat, and you're off. I have a photo of the inside of these, haven't processed it yet.

Remember Mousetrap, the board game? This is a life-sized Mousetrap, complete with all the pieces. I did get to see this in action and it was hilarious.

And of course, two of my favorite Makers, Vanessa and Lara, at the booth.

So. Much. Fun. I have to figure out how to be involved. Yep. Gotta.

More photos coming soon. And, food photos next time, too. Tonight I'm doing some makin'... makin' my own naan bread, to go along with some yummy curry. I finally got inspired to do some real cooking!

No comments: