Monday, May 05, 2008

Hum-yummus

Food post!

I had heard all about how good homemade hummus is, but I was always pretty happy with Trader Joe's hummus, so I thought, why bother? But then I got a bee in my bonnet to make it, and once I saw how easy it was (thanks to the magic of the food processor), I was sold.

It's very, very important to use fresh lemons -- that's what makes it so good.




Ingredients

2 cups canned chick-pea, drained, liquid reserved

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

4 garlic clove, minced

1/3 cup tahini (sesame paste)

6 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice (approx 2 lemons)

2 tablespoons water (or liquid from the chickpeas)

8 dashes Tabasco sauce




Directions
Place all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade and process until hummus is coarsely pureed. (come on, how easy is that?) If you don't have a food processor, you might be able to do this in a good blender or with a stick blender.

Serve at room temperature or chilled. This was fantastic the day of, and also good the next day. It's actually still good, a week later (but the flavors have mellowed somewhat).

I also made taboulli, but didn't have bulgur so I used quinoa, and it was quite tasty. Love, love, love the parsley and mint with cucumbers.

4 comments:

babybuddhalover said...

Your hummus sounds yummy! I guess I am a blogger now. I should thank you Daphne since I read your blog religiously and you inspired me to start my own! Be well!

Eva said...

I make hummus w/ an immersion blender all the time, so it's definintely possible! (Mine's a KitchenAid, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference) I looove hummus. :D

Kate said...

Thank you! Thank you! I'll try this out as soon as I have time, and I swear I'll use real lemons (if I'm out of my bottled stuff :), I promise!

Anonymous said...

Your hummus looks yummy. I've never thought of adding tabasco. Will have to try it!