Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year: 2008

(Too lazy/busy to process photos... back at it tomorrow)

Last night I fell asleep by 9:45. Woke up at 11:55 just in time to have a sip of sparkling pomegranate juice and watch the ball go down, kiss the sweetie and listen to the neighborhood cheer. Then, back to bed. A perfect New Year's celebration. :)

Let's see. Since it is New Year's Day, and I always make a list of resolutions/suggestions, let's keep up with the tradition, shall we? Here's last year's list. How did I do?

Well, pretty well, considering all the things 2007 threw at us. I decided NOT to grow my businesses and focused on just one: pet-sitting. And that one did very well. I did a lot more art. I took very good care of myself. And, unexpected bonus: for the first time in my adult life, I start the year in full happy acceptance and love for my own skin, my body. Somehow the image I see in the mirror is suddenly a good one (an accurate one?). How did this happen? I have no idea, but I'm thankful. I don't need to lose five pounds or even two pounds. I would like to be in better shape, but just so that I feel better and have more energy and health. But really? I'm totally fine. And I actually mean it. Wow.

Not many of things I wanted to have as reality by this time have come to pass, but that's okay. Directions changed and I'm pretty happy with how things are. I do love our little apartment, and we are starting to research starting a family (in conjunction with Terri getting better). So, I'm happy with our home (which was the point) and we are moving in the direction of a family (also the point). And I am truly amazed at all my blessings and gifts... sometimes you get pieces of coal in your stocking, but (not to push the bad metaphor too far) coal can be transformed into diamonds. The rest of the things I wanted, I don't want now. So I guess I got what I wanted, after all.

So, for this year. My guidelines and wishes for 2008 (let's do 8 for 2008):
  1. Keep a healthy body. That means more exercise. I would like to go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week (maybe at lunch?) but I'm not going to beat myself up about it. I just want to move more, however that happens.
  2. Continue good eating habits. Veggies every day, fruit when I can, and more whole foods in general. Also important: not fretting over what I eat or don't eat. Basically, eat good things. Watch the sugar. Don't worry about it.
  3. More art. In every way. Because I love it.
  4. Have fun with school. Learning is fun. New paths in life are exciting. I want to enjoy my classes!
  5. Read lots. It's good for my soul. I feel happier when I read excessively.
  6. Quit worrying. It doesn't do any good. Life is hard enough. Why make it worse than it is?
  7. Spread love. However and wherever I can. Make someone's day at least once a day.
  8. Reduce, Reuse, Recycle. Because it's always a good idea and because it feels good to only have what we love and use in the house.

Also, here's an idea. The Word For The Year. What's my word for the year? Peaceful Joy. Well, okay, that's two words. But it sums up what I want: peace, and joy. Preferably together. And lots of it. Peace with the way life is in the present moment. Joy for what we have, for what can be. Peace and joy at the beauty of everyday life, in all its flaws and disappointments and hidden surprises. Peace and joy for my gifts and blessings. Peace and joy, in some measure, every day. I'm going to post my list of 2008 reminders and my Word For The Year on my desk at home and at work. Just to keep me on track.

And now, I'm off to enjoy the first day of a brand new year.

No comments: