Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Sunshine On A Cloudy Day

Lovely and unexpected. Flowers from Erin:

Flowers from Terri's sister:

This morning I caught Katie nibbling on the fern in the purple arrangement. I kept hearing the wobble-wobble of the vase about to topple off the night stand. She was NOT pleased with me when I moved the flowers.

It was chilly yesterday! I went for a walk with one of 'my' doggies, and had to really bundle up (comparitively speaking... it IS Northern California, after all). We walked along the lagoon on Bay Farm Island, and all the duckies were tucking in for the evening. There was a beautiful white egret right on the edge of the lagoon, so I got a little closer to check it out. Then, I saw in the water: a fish. Not just any fish: a GIANT fish (at least, for what you'd expect in a shallow freshwater lagoon). It was at least three feet long. I have no idea what kind of fish it could have been. My first thought was, "Do they have sturgeon in here?" But that can't be. Later on, I had a thought that it might have been a big catfish. It was kind of slow and very leisurely, not all quick like a salmon (also not silvery). I couldn't see the head very well to see if it was, for sure, but I don't know what else it could have been. It was very, very big. So that was kind of fun.

I came home and decided that we needed a stew for the evening. One of the good things about being vegetarian is that it's pretty easy to just whip up a stew; no braising or browning or anything like that. I just sauteed some onions, then added potatoes, butternut squash, sweet potatoes, peas, corn, water to cover, and a bunch of dried herbs. It turned out really well, actually. Yum.

I also did some exercises from Pain Free (the Egoscue Method). They were very easy, and I can actually already tell a difference in my shoulder tension. Much more relaxed.

Speaking of relaxed, our household is becoming much more so. We're settling in for the dark season, and the pace is nice and slow. I have some creative projects to work on as I see fit, but nothing overwhelming. At least, not yet. That's why I've got to keep working on them. Darn that passage of time!

No comments: