Saturday, September 16, 2006

It's Just A Jump To The Left


In the words of the immortal Frank N. Furter, "Don't dream it, be it!" "At the age of 32, I've finally decided what I want to be when I grow up: an artist. Of any sort. And to be my own boss.

Immediately, the Universe responds: I have an opportunity to try out being a personal chef. Two meals a week for an elderly couple in Orinda. Slight diabetes (what does this mean? Research!). Adventurous tastes.

The Question: Do I go for it?

The Answer (probably): Duh!

I have to think about the particulars... how much time will this be weekly, the drive out there, the shopping, etc. How much will I charge? Is it worth the time? It'd be a referral... and I do like senior citizens.

I'm more afraid of success than I am of failure.

So, to review, here is what I want:
  • To be an artist and make my living creating: jewelry, illustrations, art, food, whatever.
  • To make other people happy.
  • To be of service, even if that service is Happiness Creation.
  • To live a life with soul and meaning.
  • To be the master of my own time.
  • To love what I do, every day.

Yes, I would love to have to quit my job because I have so much other stuff to do and am making so much money that I simply must quit in order to do all this other stuff. But right now, it's a balance. However, that's just details. So?

I guess the answer is (frighteningly), yes! I'll give myself a day or two to work up and plan and a quote.

And, Stella (the cutest little dog in the world) is getting her mommies back tonight. She doesn't know it yet, but she's very excited. I'm excited for her. And I'm leaving some curried couscous salad and cream cheese brownies for her travel-weary owners (in case, you know, THEY need personal chef services..)

What am I doing?? Ack!

1 comment:

Britt said...

Hey, that is great you realised what you want to do!

I am trying to muster up the courage to be both an artist and designer as a successful profession.

Good luck with being your own boss.