Saturday, July 01, 2006

The Morning Singers

There are very vocal birdies in our neighborhood. I love them. I wish I knew how to identify them. Anyway, they are quite cheeful.

I think merengue is a dance. I think meringue is a cookie. Oops.

I've been reading this how-to-make-a-living-without-a-job book. It's interesting. So far I've learned that what I really want for my daily life is variety, challenges, freedom, self-reliant creativity, recognition, and the opportunity to use my true talents. Unstructured days (or less structured than they are now). Possibilities of unlimited success. You know, the usual.

I think for me it also comes down to a question of who am I, really? I some facts about myself: I'm creative, empathetic, giving, smart, talented in some areas, desperately untalented in others, and that I like to be in charge of things. But those are things that I am, parts of me. What's the whole picture? I'd like a chance to feel like I'm in my element.

What is my element? I've felt like I'm in my element in a few situations:
  • In the newsroom on deadline
  • Backstage in theater productions
  • Putting a home together
  • Certain artistic situations
  • Camping: setting up camp, cooking outdoors
  • Planning and executing travel trips

I think I like to drive the train, and I like to figure out the details. Maybe good for running my own business? I do like figuring things out on the fly, going with what feels right. Putting together the puzzle, as each piece appears.

It is frustrating when you're wanting to see the finished product ahead of time.

No comments: