Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Wait... I thought I lived in Alameda...

... not Mayberry.

What a perfectly lovely day. I came home, rested for a little bit, had some late breakfast with Terri, rested some more, put some things down in the garage (which badly needs IKEA shelving... and fast!), then brought up beads and started messing around with pretty shiny things. I started a necklace, messed around some more with house stuff, played with beads some more, then went down and found the key to my Krypton lock and took the ol' bike out for a ride to Trader Joe's.

Ahhh. Going to the grocery store on my bike. I LOVE doing this. This probably ranks as one of my all-time favorite low-key activities ever. And, riding through idyllic, peaceful, quiet, kids-playing-in-sprinklers, people-waving-hello Alameda, I was a happy girl. My bike needs a tune-up (I couldn't figure out Terri's air pump so I walked it to the gas station and pumped up the tires, then realized that the chain is a little rusty and there are cobwebs all over the bike... it's been awhile since I've indulged in this favorite activity, I guess...), but it's nothing a little WD-40 can't solve.

However. Perfection. Sunny, late-afternoon filtered light, and a soft breeze. I took the 'back roads' and so there was very little traffic. Parked my bike right out front Trader Joe's and got to feel superior because I rode my bike instead of driving. Got what I needed, and found cutie .99 reusable grocery bags, which I got two of, since they fit my super-cool bike bags perfectly. Now I can be a total bike dork and have bags that fit within my bags. Good lord.

Rode home along the waterfront path. A little windier. Watched kitesurfers. Dodged kids. Smiled at diving pelicans. Stopped and watched the water for a little bit.

I don't know why riding my bike in this way (cruising, I think it's called) appeals to me so much. It brings out absolute joy in me. I feel light, mischievous, happy, adventurous, and a little on the fringe. I'm a little rebel on a girl-bike.

Oooh, watch out, I'm riding my bike to the store and I won't even use paper bags!!

I don't know. However, I like it. I can't wait to ride my bike to work every day. Like a little Parisian, I'll ring my bell and look jaunty while effortlessly toning my legs.

Time to go grease up the chain and start dinner. Tonight it's Curried CousCous and Veggies.



No comments: