Friday, January 30, 2009

Toasty Goodness (edited to add recipe)

That is what this is. Cinnamon swirl toasty goodness. I made this last weekend. Pretty, no? I think it must be repeated this weekend. It IS Super Bowl weekend, after all. I think we'll have nachos (with the last of the refried beans), spinach dip, and cinnamon bread (to start the day).

Notice that I could not tell you who is playing the Super Bowl, and I probably won't even watch any of it, but I WILL be making yummy treats. Any excuse will do!

Plans for the weekend include:

1. Owl #3
2. Menu-planning and a little shopping
3. Exercise
4. The Grand Plan Of Awesomeness

What's the The Grand Plan Of Awesomeness? I don't even know. I think it's going to be a road map for the next few months, involving art, exercise, and all the creative ways I can think of to use my various random skills. And maybe earn some extra money. But mostly, let's get this ball rolling and have some fun and get productive! (but mostly, let's just have some fun and make some cool stuff.) I'm terrible at making Grand Plans but I feel somewhat inspired. I'm also totally okay with the whole plan changing at a moment's notice, so I think I'm set in either case.

Up next in the book-reading plans: Swish. I'm still plodding away at the spirituality book, and I'm eagerly looking forward to my allotted pages of Anna, but I need something else fun and light to keep me swinging along.

(edited to add: here you go, Kate!)
Rich Cinnamon Swirl Bread
3/4 cup milk
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 eggs
3 tablespoons butter (melted)
3 cups bread flour
1/4 cup + 2 Tbls white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt

For swirl:
1/3 cup brown sugar
3-4 teas cinnamon (or to taste)
1 tbls melted butter

Turn on oven to 200 degrees.

Scald the milk to 100 degrees, cool slightly. Put in large heatproof bowl or bowl of standing mixer. Add yeast and a pinch of sugar. Stir, let sit a few minutes. Add eggs and butter, stir well to combine. Add 1 cup flour, sugar and salt. Mix well. Add remaining flour, one cup at a time, until dough is smooth and not sticky. Knead (either in bowl or by hand) until dough is smooth and not at all sticky, adding flour as needed, about 10 minutes.

Put dough back in bowl, cover with clean cloth. TURN OVEN OFF. Put bowl into oven to let rise double, about an hour to hour and a half.

Punch down, and roll out flat into a rectangle. Mix brown sugar, cinnamon, and melted butter. Pat brown sugar out evenly over rectangle. Roll tightly, tuck ends under if necessary. Put into greased bread pan, cover with cloth, let rise again 1 hour. In the meantime, preheat oven to 375.

When bread is risen (brush with beaten egg first if you like), bake in oven 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.

Note: there is apparently some kind of magic remedy for making sure you don't get a big hole in the middle of the swirl as it bakes. I have not discovered this trick. However, it's still amazing bread.

5 comments:

Kate said...

YUM. Looking. You are a baking goddess.

Good luck with your grand plan of awesomeness!

Kate said...

Ok, I just called Jeff in here to look at your cinnamon bread. His jaw dropped and he was speechless for several seconds. And he'd really like the recipe. Poor dear, when I pointed out that I can't bake worth a damn, he insisted that he'd try to make it.

So...seriously. Jeff would like the recipe.

I tell you, you are a baking goddess.

Daphne said...

Aw, that's so sweet. If I lived closer I'd bring you a loaf. I'll edit the post to include the recipe.

Kate said...

You're amazing! Hopefully I'll have time to try it out next weekend! Thanks so much!

Anonymous said...

Oh my, does that ever look lovely!