Thursday, October 02, 2008

Some Good Things

(one good thing is the new Photoshop... yay, Artistic filter fun!)

I have been in such a blah mood lately. The news has been getting me down and I'm not usually affected by the news so I know it's all particularly bad/scary. I'm very anxious about this VP debate tonight and hoping and praying it goes well. It just seems like there is so much at stake. I can't tell you how relieved I am, at any rate, that the W will be out very soon.

However, amid all my doom and gloom mood, there have been some bright spots.

One is my scooter, which I've written about in the post below. I looooove my scooter. It's so much fun and I feel 10 years old again. It's awesome. It's so awesome that it's RAD. That's how much I love it.

Another good thing is that I get to go see Neil Gaiman this Sunday in the city. Terri is going to come along if she's up for it. I'm very excited as I rarely take advantage of living near a major city to see authors and such. And this is one author that I think will be worth seeing in person. Plus I can't wait to get my signed copy of his new book, The Graveyard Book. It's in the same vein as Coraline, which I will have to reread as soon as I finish my current book (which is taking me much longer than I expected for some reason).

Another good thing is that Monday is Terri's birthday! Yay, Terri! I only hope I can come close to giving her as excellent a birthday as she gave me. All she has on her list is a Wii and a big flatscreen TV. Hmm.

Also, and permeating everything, is that it's my favorite month in my favorite season. I love October so much. I am going to spend this weekend making Halloween decorations. I also need to come up with a good spooky movie list. I don't like slasher/gore movies, but I do like a good ghost story, along the lines of The Others.

Here's my reading plan for the rest of the month:
* Finish Ghost Story
* The Graveyard Book
* Coraline
* Non-fiction (?) ghost book from birthday
* A passel of John Bellairs goodness
* Some other YA spookiness, maybe some Lois Duncan
* Poe
* Lovecraft
* At least one other adult scary novel

I am going to have to hop to it. And maybe extend this into November, when it gets even more dark and spooky at night.

So, even though I have been all out of sorts and grumpy lately, good things are happening. I think I need a morning spent crunching through the leaves in the Oakland hills. That would put me right.

1 comment:

Ana S. said...

Ooh, you have to tell us all about the Neil Gaimain reading/signing! I'm sure it will be an amazing experience.

Happy early birthday for Terri! And I love October too, and I really like your reading plans for this month. I got two John Bellairs books in the mail today, the second and third Lewis Barnavelt books. I hadn't originally included them in my RIP list, but later I remembered them and I couldn't resist.