Friday, June 20, 2008

A Very Crowded Bedroom

It's, um, quite warm here in Alameda tonight. When I got out of work, the temperature guage in my car registered 102 outside. Thankfully, that quickly dropped to, oh 99 and occasionally as low as 97 as I drove around, doing various errands.

Reminder: we live in the Bay Area, right? And Alameda is an island, right? Right.

I am *so glad* I bought that air conditioner a few weeks ago. Our bedroom is a cool oasis, as the rest of the rooms in the house are sweltering. I stood in front of the open fridge far too long as I sweated in the kitchen making salad for dinner. My friend Nicki called to say that she and her whole family were coming over to join us in the bedroom tonight, since they don't have any AC and were all totally melted. It's a very hot night, and I mean that in the most weather-specific way possible.

Anyway. Nicki decided to find her own air conditioner, so it's just me and Terri and the three kitties in the bedroom tonight. For some reason, Cleo and Tiger Lily kept forgetting about the nice cool bedroom and stayed melted out in the living room most of the day, the sillies. I think they finally figured it out.

So, here we are. Terri having a terrible time with antibiotic side effects (although now we are grateful as we know that that means she'll feel better as soon as she doesn't feel worse -- that would make sense if it weren't so hot), and my stomach is swollen up with salad, including an entire cucumber and a huge glass of water. We're a fun bunch.

However, doing a little reading about Lyme, I found this great article by Amy Tan, who is struggling to recover from late-stage Lyme disease. Thankfully Terri has not had hallucinations or seizures. I really do have great faith that she'll start to feel better soon. It's not going to be easy, and it won't be quick... but I know she'll get there. Already she seems 'clearer' when not in the grips of medication side effects or bacterial die-off (also known as 'herxing')... the main thing I'm noticing is that she's not having the post-exertional malaise like before. She would have a good day and then pay for it the rest of the week... but now, she has a good day and then even if the next day isn't so great, it's not the same absolute wipe-out as before. She's recovered after a day or so, rather than a week or two weeks. Also, she isn't struggling with cognitive difficulties as much, unless she's very tired or over-stressed. I expect all of these symptoms to gradually get better over time.

Well, it's time to close up the bedroom to keep the cool in and call it a night. Best $100 I've spent in months.

1 comment:

Nicola said...

We got an air conditioner that night from Home Depot and are so happy we did! But we did miss snuggling with all you in bed...