Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The Backup Plan

Lately I've been thinking (inbetween worrying, working, memorizing, reading, and sleeping): if it proves impossible to get into nursing school, I might need a backup plan. I really enjoy my job, but it's no secret that I've been searching for what, exactly, is my bliss (so I can follow it). Also, once you've decided to make a change, it's kind of hard to NOT make a change.

So anyway. As usual, the answer is staring me right in the face. All those high school job-aptitude tests may have been right after all... duh, LIBRARIAN.


  • I love books and reading, and talking about/sharing/teaching about books and reading

  • I love libraries

  • I like doing research

  • I like *knowing* stuff

  • I love finding things

  • I already have the librarian glasses

Anyway, I read a number of book-y blogs and some of those folks are actually either librarians or in library school. It sounds so interesting! I did a little research and most library science programs can be done almost completely online, and I live near a good one (San Jose State). It's not exactly as flexible/potentially lucrative/solves-my-dilemmas as nursing school, but I think I would actually love it. Plus it has a slightly more defined career path than some of my other choices, i.e. art therapist/artist/home chef/any number of other things I've pondered.

So, that's my backup plan. If I complete all my prerequisites for nursing school and nobody wants me (or my name doesn't get called in the lottery), then I'll look seriously into an MLS. It's not exactly a booming field, but with all the baby-boomers retiring soon, there will be more slots opening up. Also, it sounds like you can do lots of things with a library-science degree. I don't know. I kinda think I'd like it. A lot.

However, in nursing news, I gave my first shot! Terri is getting B12 shots, and we both need to know how to give them. It went well -- Terri was a champ. Yay, us!

Man, I'm tired. I can't wait for this class to be over. Hurry up, summer break!

3 comments:

D'Arcy said...

That's so crazy, it just might work! You're brilliant!

I wonder if there are any good MLS programs near me...

Kate said...

I just reviewed an interesting book (in the real world, not on the blog) about alternative industries for librarians - I'll dig up the specs and send them your way, if interested!

Daphne said...

Yes, please do! Thanks!