Thursday, February 21, 2008

Rainy Day Yumminess

It's been raining and raining the last couple of days. Of course, I kinda like it. It's cozy, and I love the pretty gray light that happens.

Our neighbors across the street have the cutest orange kitty (see above). We call him "Orange Kitty" (of course). He likes to sit on the porch and watch the rain. I like to stand in my kitchen and watch him. We're both happy with this arrangement.

Something else that makes me happy are these coconut noodles.

Oh my goodness, they are sooooo good. I could eat these all night long. Coconut and just a little bit of spice, plus yummy lime and green onion... wow. It's fantastic. And super-easy, no onion-chopping (except for a little green-onion slicing)... it can be ready and delicious in just a few minutes.

SPICY COCONUT NOODLES
Adapted from a Real Simple recipe
(and Tea and Cookies)

8 ounces rice noodles (I used wide Thai noodles)
1 13.5-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk (full fat for best flavor)
3 tablespoons tomato paste (here's where I got to use the fancy tube of tomato paste I've had in my fridge -- so much easier than the can!)
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste (I ended up adding a little more)
2-3 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
3 scallions, thinly sliced
1 cup cubed chicken meat or tofu
1 cup basil leaves, whole or torn (I didn't have any, but it sounds good)
juice of one lime
1/4 cup shredded coconut, toasted (watch carefully! Burns fast... as I found out...)
Cook the noodles according to the package directions and drain.

Meanwhile, in a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk, tomato paste, chili powder, salt, and sugar. Bring to a boil. Add the cubed chicken or tofu. Reduce heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (for tofu just make sure it is warmed through to the center). Add the lime juice. Stir in the drained noodles and toss. Divide the noodles among individual bowls. Top with the scallions, basil (if using), and coconut. Makes enough for two hungry people plus a lunch the next day.

I am telling you, this is good. Not too spicy, very flavorful, and extremely easy.

No comments: