Saturday, November 17, 2007

Skipped A Day, Oh Well

I was in Victorville, California, yesterday. These cool sculptures are from Oakland, not Victorville. If they were in Victorville, that would make ONE interesting, cool thing there. Aside from the high desert, itself. Anyway. Victorville was too warm, very dirty and dusty, and depressing. I didn't enjoy my day very much, although as usual my coworkers were fun to travel with. I'm glad to be home.

I missed posting yesterday. By the time I got home, I was over-tired, dehydrated (it was VERY dry there), and it was 9:30 pm and I'd been up and travelling since 6. Frankly, I totally forgot about posting. All I wanted to do with cuddle on the couch with Terri and read my book and drink water and then go to bed. Which we did.

I'm so glad it's the weekend. I'm going to make persimmon bread, work on a few holiday crafts, grocery shop, and obsessively read these books. I wish it were snowing, or raining, or doing anything other than being opressively sunny and bright. It's too bright. I guess I don't mind sunny days so much, it's the glaringly bright days that really bother me.

One thing that is really odd about being somewhere that doesn't get cold -- or even chilly, like Victorville (or someplace like Phoenix, I would imagine): you go anywhere during the holiday season, and there are holiday lights, yard displays, fake snowmen, etc. And people are shopping for them, dressed in shorts and tank tops. It's just not right. It's not exactly 'right' here, either, but at least you have to wear a sweater and a coat most times. I couldn't live out there. I would dry up. I met a woman there who grew up/went to high school in Toledo, a small coastal town about the size of my own small town, about 45 minutes away from Philomath. Our schools were in the same league, we played each other, I think. I couldn't believe she, an Oregon girl, had MOVED to that area. How? Why??

No comments: