Monday, June 29, 2009

Book Roundup

I've been in a weird state the last couple of weeks.

I've read about half of a number of books, and then abandoned them (or they were due back at the library). A quick roundup:

The Hard Facts of Grimm's Fairy Tales (Maria Tatar): A fascinating look at the backstory behind the fairy tales and the realities of the culture which may or may not have gotten warped by the Brothers Grimm as they tried to make their books first more authentic, and later, more marketable. I really enjoyed it, but to tell you the truth, I got way too bogged down in the scholarly tone and didn't have enough concentration to really get through it. However, if I were more rested, I think I would have raced through to the end. I really enjoyed what I did read (about half).

When You Are Engulfed In Flames (David Sedaris): What can you say about David Sedaris that hasn't already been said? He's hilarious, wry, absurd, incredibly funny. I could not keep a straight face while reading this. Unfortunately, it was only a 7-day loan, and I only realized this two days before it was due, so I raced through as much as I could before the due date. I got about half way through this one, too. So funny and enough to make anyone feel a little better about their own quirks and foibles.

It seems like there were a couple others that I sort of flipped through. I've been really, really busy, and really, really tired. My best friend came to visit last weekend, so not much time for reading then. I've actually been too tired to read, which is a rare state for me!

I'm almost done with Wesley The Owl. Terri read the last two chapters and burst out into tears. I'm dreading it, although the story so far is completely adorable and amazing. I should have this finished tonight. Review soon! Sorry about the lack o' booktalk. I am stretched thin and not at my best lately.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

When You Are Engulfed In Flames was short listed for an audie award, so I am very tempted to get the audio book for it. I haven't read any of his books yet, but I do love funny books. It's a shame you didn't have time to make it to the end.

Anonymous said...

when you are engulfed in flames is a big book too....finishing that in seven days would be hard under any circumstances. some of the stories in that one are quite long.

Daphne said...

Farmlane: I would like to try and read it again, later, when it's not on such a tight turnaround!!

Tammie: probably if I'd just sat down and read it, I could have done it, but seriously: I'm so tired and distracted, it just didn't happen. But: FUNNY!

Ana S. said...

Sorry to hear the Tatar book didn't fully work for you right now, but I'm glad you enjoyed what you read!

Daphne said...

Ana: I actually really liked the Tatar book -- it was my mind that wasn't cooperating!