Sunday, November 30, 2008

Acres Of Laundry

Just think about it. Washing every single piece of clothing you and your partner own. Plus towels, sheets, kitchen linens, blankets, scarves, mittens, etc. All at once (or, within two weeks). And you can't wash it at home. And then it can't COME home, it has to wait for the new house.

It's a mountain of laundry. All washed, neatly folded (thanks, Mom!), packed into massive garbage bags, and stored at my dear sister-friend's house until we move.

And it's only about 2/3 done. (and let's not even think about the ironing)

The upside to all this is that our house will be full of sparkling clean things. Every single thing, wiped down, washed within an inch of its life, or brand new. That's kind of awesome.

Oh, there's a downside to all this maniacal cleaning and vicious, ruthless purging of possessions, followed by storing most of our things for a couple months. There are tons of downsides. But there are also upsides, which are plenty:

1. See above statement about "all shiny clean"
2. No unwanted junk!
3. Serious psychic baggage offload
4. Finding furniture to fit the space (rather than cramming existing furniture into new space)
5. I'll finally learn to iron my clothes
6. We'll start using the 'good' china
7. New housekeeping habits
8. Two months of zen-like Spartanism
9. Serious reliance on the library
10. I didn't want all that money piling up in my savings anyway...

But seriously. Although this is one of the most major hassles of my life to date (if not THE greatest hassle), my little Virgo kind of likes some of this process.

OK. I am all threadbare and rundown and it's time for bed. But I'm so grateful my mom came to visit and help. We had a lot of fun, and I think that helped more than anything. I was starting to fall into the deep black pit of Taking Things Too Seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It will all be done soon. Don't forget to take time to take care of yourself!