Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Haunted Alameda

Some more pics of the best-dressed house in Alameda. I love that you can't even see the actual house because of all the amazing, beautiful, hand-painted decorations.

I don't know who creates all the decorations, but I think it's someone who lives there because they have decorations for all holidays (Easter, 4th of July, Christmas, etc.) all in this same lovely style. I love it.

Tonight is the Ghost Hunters show featuring the USS Hornet, docked at Alameda Point just a few blocks from our house. I'm very excited as this ship has personal meaning for me, my grandfather served on this ship. Should be a fun show -- ghosts plus cool old aircraft carrier ship. It's on the SciFi channel at 9, and I think they repeat it at 11. I've heard for years that it's very haunted; I can't wait to see what the guys find when they investigate it! They are having a big costume party/haunted-ship sleepover on Halloween; what fun! I would have volunteered to be a 'local' if I'd known the show was coming to Alameda...

Tonight is our 'date night', where we cuddle up in the living room and watch favorite shows while eating yummy dinner (tonight it's leftover butternut squash soup). I will be carving our pumpkins, too. I usually feel some obligation to get all creative, but generally I find carving pumpkins sort of difficult so I'm just going to do Mr. Traditional Jack O'Lantern. I always think using a pattern is cheating somehow, but I'm not a very good carver, so my pumpkins always look a little boring. Oh well.

I'm sure someone else in Alameda will make up for my lack of pumpkin flair.

**
A few random declarations that for some reason I feel like sharing:
1. I will be participating in NaBloPoMo. Because I need more things to do.
2. Every year, I vow to make the holidays simpler. Holiday decor is showing up in the stores already. Therefore, as a reminder to myself, once again I am stating my holiday intentions: "I will do nothing, make nothing, buy nothing, and participate in nothing except what makes me happy."
3. The all-scary all-the-time readfest is almost over. I kind of like reading by theme. I think now I'll move into the cozy-classics mode. Some oldies, some new books -- but the focus will be on cozy, homey, snuggly winter goodness. Enough with the spooky. For now.
4. And finally, I hereby state my intention to find a volunteer position (working under an Occupational Therapist) by the end of the year.

There. Enough housekeeping. Back to Halloweek Week!

3 comments:

Ana S. said...

I love the pictures you've been sharing. Such beautiful decorations!

Susan said...

I love your motto! I may frame it. I think you could write a book about how to achieve the do-nothing-but- what-you-want state for the holidays, make a fortune, and retire to read for the rest of your life :-)

Daphne said...

Nymeth: thanks! I think Alameda celebrates Halloween even more than Christmas.

Susan: that's a great idea. I might have to work on that!