Sunday, October 26, 2008

Halloween In Alameda

I think it's fairly well-established by now that Halloween is my favorite holiday.

Apparently, it's Alameda's favorite holiday as well. One of the delights of living here is how enthusiastically people dress up their homes for the holidays, and they seem to go all-out for Halloween, even more than they do for the winter holidays.

Yesterday as I was walking around, I took some pictures of what people have done, and will post photos here all week.

This family seems to have taken the 'orange' theme a little literally. Orange house, orange pumpkin...

The central area of Alameda, called The Gold Coast area, is filled with beautiful Victorian houses. This is where the real trick-or-treating action takes place. We'll be there Friday night with some friends, enjoying the night's festivities vicariously through their little princess and bumblebee.

My wonderful friend Nicki gave me a new cookbook today, Pumpkins and Squashes. I'm going to make a roasted butternut squash and quinoa salad for dinner. I have about a half-hour before I need to start roasting the squash. That's another half-hour of The Terror that I can fit in...

Football on the TV, a book on my lap, squash roasting in the oven... if only it weren't 75 degrees outside. Oh well.

1 comment:

Carl V. Anderson said...

How fun that your town really gets into it. Halloween really is a wonderful holiday! I need to try to squeeze in a viewing of Its the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown sometime this week. I have been so busy that my annual decorating has really gone by the wayside, however I will throw some stuff together in the next couple of days since I am hosting two Halloween parties, one on Thursday and one on Friday.