Monday, September 29, 2008

Banned Books Week

It's Banned Books Week. This is one of those things where I'm like, isn't it just plain wrong that we even have to address this? For once and for all, if you don't like it, don't read it. If you don't want your kids to read it, deal with your kid, not the book. I'm all for parental monitoring. I just really, really, really don't agree with removing books from libraries.

I was surprised how many of my favorite books are frequently on the "Challenged" list. I just don't get the banning thing at all.

I was thinking about it this weekend, and I don't ever remember being told that I couldn't read something. If I was old enough/mature enough to stay interested in it, then I guess it was okay for me to read it. I never thought twice about ever picking up anything to read, anyway. I read everything we had in the house and then brought home piles from the library, not to mention everything at my friends' houses.

The only time I remember being judged for what I read was my freshman year in high school. I had just checked out a book something along the lines of "Heather Has Two Mommies" but for teens (not that this was reflective of my family, I just thought it looked interesting, and was surprised my tiny high school had such a book). I was telling my friend Amy about it and she was just shocked that I would read such a thing. I remember that she wouldn't even touch the book and said that she hoped I wouldn't read it. What?! I just didn't get it at all. What was the harm in reading the book, even if I ended up not agreeing with it (not the case with that particular book, but you know what I mean). The point is to get you thinking.

Anyway. I'm glad that book wasn't banned. It made me realize that I value being able to read whatever I want. Even if it's those horrible V.C. Andrews books (Flowers In The Attic, etc.). Remember those? Always a favorite on the banned books list.

So. Read those banned books! Buy them! Stand up for them! Love them! They need you. And we certainly need them. I hate to think about a world where The Color Purple, Tom Sawyer, Harry Potter, The Catcher In The Rye, A Wrinkle In Time, The Handmaid's Tale, James and The Giant Peach, Slaughterhouse Five, or Lord of the Flies weren't allowed to exist. Let's not let that happen.

5 comments:

Ana S. said...

Let's definitely not. It does seem hard to believe that banning books is still an issue at all.

D'Arcy said...

James and the Giant Peach? Really?

Those VC Andrews books were really bad. And I should know, because I think I've read every one of them.

I'm with you - it just seems so ridiculous. I really can't imagine why it might be necessary to prevent people from EVER reading any book.

Daphne said...

I think I've read all of those horrible V.C. Andrews books too! They're so bad. But irresistible expecially if you're 14.

"James" was on a banned list because of all the 'magic' in the book. You know, that horrible, corrupting, misleading magic stuff. THAT ISN'T REAL.

Daphne said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allison said...

Flowers for Algernon? As I Lay Dying? Goosebumps?? This list looks very familiar. Maybe I need a good mind erasing.