Saturday, August 30, 2008

Four Days, Plus, Four Books!

I have four days off before heading up to Oregon for my mom's wedding. I am soooo happy to have some extra time. Lots to do, of course, but also lots of free time. Yippee!

I've been considering this All The Books I've Ever Read project, and have come to the conclusion that it's a crazy idea and will never be completed. Of course, I still want to do it. But maybe it will just be one of those sideline projects, adding books as I remember them or whatever. No biggie. It looks like GoodReads.com is the easiest way to keep a big list of *everything*, so what I'll do is continue doing reviews of everything I read here on my blog, and keep a running list on GoodReads too (see link in the right-hand column), back-adding as I come across books I've already read, etc. Why not, right? I wasn't going to add children's books because I have read so many hundreds of those. But I came across some favorites while I was updating, so -- if I see it, and I've read it, it goes in the list. Poky Little Puppy and all. I can print out a current list every year, just to have a printed record. Perfect. I started to make different 'shelves' for different subjects, then realized that was just too much work. The magic of GoodReads is how easy it is to click and add something. So, it's just a big list. Oh well.

Today was a very nice day... I did a little of everything. A little errand-running, a little housework, a little cooking, a little baking, a little artwork, a little library-going, a little exercise. Tomorrow some friends are coming over to hang out on our little beach while we watch their kids go crazy in the bay. The weather has been so warm, it should be lovely. I made potato salad and snickerdoodles for the picnic.

I started a book a couple days ago but I am just not into it. So I had to go to the library. Four days off without a good book sounds unbearable. So, keeping the R.I.P. challenge in mind, I got the following:

* Brimstone, Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child: I generally don't like thrillers, but these authors churn out fairly entertaining light thrillers with a supernatural angle. Good for fun summer reading. Plus, they fit the challenge!
* Book of the Dead, authors ditto: These are vaguely chronological so I figured I'd get the next one as well.
* Widdershins, Charles de Lint: I gasped when I saw this on the shelf, and quickly pulled it down. My library doesn't usually have much de Lint so I was excited about this one.
* Lost Boy Lost Girl, Peter Straub: I forgot to bring my challenge book list with me, but I did remember that this was on my list.

Anyway. Now it's getting late. I am wrapped in my new fuzzy blanket with a little fuzzy kitty on my lap, my new book next to me, a soft breeze from the fan going, and no reason to get up early tomorrow. Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to my perfect evening. Good night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love my All The Books I've Read list. It was SO much fun putting it together... titles would come back to at the strangest moments. (Sometimes I would remember three books with a similar word in the title, for instance.) And woe, woe, woe to a couple of books that aren't available to post there. They feel like my orphan children.

One useful link on GoodReads is to go to "Meet People" and look at long lists. That can jog the memory.

Another cool thing at GoodReads: on the "view" link, list by "cover." It is the coolest thing ever.