Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Morning

Last night, after I posted, got difficult. Mostly because I was stupid and watched a Food Network show about the Best Breakfasts In America. Seriously. What was I thinking? I almost caved, but then I marched myself into the kitchen and had another cup of tea. Which was not very satisfying. But I made it. Then we went to bed.

Something I am finding interesting is that I'm noticing very specifically what I want to eat. For instance, this morning I would very much like thick Mexican hot chocolate followed by a crisp waffle. Not that unusual a craving, I suppose, but generally speaking I've been completely blank about food lately. Not feeling like cooking. Having no inspiration for recipes. Hardly able to decide what I'd like to eat any given moment. I don't like feeling like that.

I'm finding this clarity about what sounds good very refreshing and enjoyable. I do know that later today I'm going to make fresh pesto for Terri (from my very happy basil patch), and a big batch of the yummiest vegetable soup that I can make, in preparation for next week. I like that I can have whatever veggies I like, including potatoes, carrots, corn, etc. I'm very much looking forward to tomorrow.

I think I can make it through another day of not eating, but I have to say, I'm not really enjoying it. I didn't expect to, and I hear this from friends who routinely do fasts, but it's really boring not eating. I have this sense that I ought to be tough and enjoy the experience, but really, bodies are made to eat. At least, mine is. I get that a two-day (semi-) fast is good for me in that it's kick-starting this detox experience, but I will be much happier with fruits, veggies, and rice. I can handle eating healthy, eating restrictively, even -- but not eating? That is no fun. And I need all the fun I can get.

No comments: