Sunday, June 22, 2008

The Best Coleslaw Recipe Ever

One of my first jobs was working at Kentucky Fried Chicken. I know, yuck, right? Yeah, it was yucky. I applied there because my good friend, who lived next door, worked there, and it seemed like a fun job. No, really, I don't know what I was thinking. Also, my now-best-friend Erin worked there, so all the cool kids were getting jobs there, right? It was kind of a crazy place. I think all fast-food restaurants are like reality TV shows back behind the counter. But anyway.

One of the things I liked about working there was making the coleslaw. We had gigantic garbage-bin-sized drums of cabbage, and we'd mix in vats of dressing by hand. Literally by hand -- we would put on these arm-length plastic gloves and mix it all up with our hands (gloved hands). I don't know why I liked it, something about the massive amounts of salad just pleased me.

(The other thing I liked to make was biscuits. Oh, and I also liked to make gravy although it was pretty gross.)

Anyway, that KFC coleslaw is yummy. All the recipes I'd found since then were not sweet enough, you know? Until I found this one. Actually, it's sort of an amalgamation of a couple recipes that I've tried. It's pretty delicious. It's better than KFC's.

This one is for my brother. Every couple of months he will call me and ask for "that coleslaw dressing recipe" because he loves it but never seems to have the recipe handy. So here it is, online where you can find it whenever you want, Matt.

Daphne's Coleslaw
  • 1/8 cup oil
  • 1/4 cup white vinegar
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, depending on how sweet you like it (I usually do somewhere in the middle)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Best Foods)
  • 1 tsp celery seed (this makes it really peppery and good)
  • 8 cups shredded cabbage (I usually do mostly green cabbage with a little purple thrown in
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 2 TBLS minced white onion

Mix all ingredients from oil to celery seed, together in a large bowl. Whisk until the dressing is a consistent texture. Add cabbage, carrots, onion (you can also just use bagged coleslaw mix). Stir to mix well. It's best to let this chill in the fridge for at least an hour or two before serving.

10 comments:

babybuddhalover said...

I have had this coleslaw and it is the best coleslaw ever! Thanks for the recipe.

Matt said...

Thanks Sis!

Anonymous said...

Been making your coleslaw for over a year now. It truly is the best! Only cole slaw my son will eat.

Anonymous said...

What kind of oil do you use?

Anonymous said...

What kind of oil do you recommend for this recipe?

Daphne said...

Canola works great!

Anonymous said...

can you double and triple these ingrediants

Daphne said...

Of course!

Deborah said...

How many does this usually serve?

Daphne said...

I have no idea... 4-6? We are two people and it lasts 2-3 dinners.