Saturday, December 01, 2007

Welcome December!

I don't know why I'm so glad it's December. I'm strangely looking forward to the holidays this year. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I've chosen not to stress about them, and only choose to enjoy the things I want to enjoy, rather than trying to do everything perfectly.

Last night I decided to make potstickers (more for something to do than anything else). I also made oatmeal cookies. I wanted to make gingerbread cutouts, but I couldn't find the recipe I wanted (I think it's in a cookbook at my dad's house, actually), so I decided to make oatmeal cookies instead. They turned out pretty good. And then I made the potstickers. Yes, I did the assembly right there with the cookies. I was having some poor counter-space planning issues.

I made them with vegetarian filling (basically, everything but the pork). I had some trouble figuring out the right amount of filling, plus how to get the wonton wrappers to stay sealed (lots of water). Also, all the potstickers I've ever seen are nice little crescents, with pretty folded little edges. Mine looked like, well, wontons.

I also had some trouble figuring out the ratio of oil to water in the pan. By the third batch, they were looking better. It was difficult to get the entire potsticker steamed plus the bottom browned. Putting a lid on the pan helped. They did taste pretty good, however. The sauce was yummy. Anything with soy sauce and rice vinegar is A-OK in my book.

Now I have a few wonton wrappers leftover and I don't know what to do with them. They're too much fun to let go to waste. I might have to get creative. Maybe I could make raviolis. I also have a lot of bean sprouts left. Hmm. Random ingredients.

Today is going to be some house-cleaning, and maybe we'll get out the holiday decorations or something. We might get our tree next weekend. I want to get some home magazines for ideas. Better Homes and Gardens (usually too suburban for my situation, but they do have good holiday crafts) and maybe a Martha or something. I got a Sunset magazine in the mail with some good home-baked gift ideas. Maybe as additions to the other little work gifts I'm making? I have this irrational desire to make three or four batches of holiday goodies. I know my office will have no trouble helping me get rid of them. That is one good thing about working in a fairly large office -- they are more than happy to take extra baked goods off your hands!

No comments: