Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Too Much Of A Good Thing

Today was my work's annual Thankgiving luncheon. We BBQ the turkeys (we have some BBQ pits or pots or whatever they're called out back), cater the mashed potatoes and stuffing, and then everyone brings in their specialities. It's a LOT of food. For breakfast alone we had: a fruit platter, bagels and cream cheese, pineapple buns, cinnamon rolls, three or four different kinds of holiday breads (pumpkin, etc.), and I can't even remember what else. I was stuffed by 10:15.

Lunch was even more bountiful and delicious. I had made spinach dip and the fantastic sweet potatoes and apples from Barefoot Contessa. The conference rooms were decorated, tables were laid out, and everyone ate like family. I felt really grateful for my workplace and the people there. Also, I wished I had worn sweatpants. Everyone was really boisterous after the meal and it was kind of hilarious.

Something else I am grateful for is that somehow in the last year I seem to have learned a modicum of restraint. Meaning: I've learned to listen to when my body or mind says, "Enough!" Around this time last year, I was trying to do everything. I had four jobs (my regular job, jewelry-making, pet-sitting, and cooking for someone). I could barely think straight. It was kind of awful. We didn't even get a tree or put up any decorations. I was not having a good time. This year, I'm scaling things way back. I'm only doing the things I like to do.

I have to say, it feels great.

I have a plan to handmake lots of things, and I'm well on my way with projects. But if they don't get done, then they'll either be late or I'll go shopping. I'm not going to worry about it. I'm going to make cookies and special things and not worry about the fact that we won't eat them at home -- that's what work is for!

There are plenty of things to worry about. And I'm plenty worried. So where I don't have to worry about things, where I can have fun and get pleasure and enjoy myself: I'm going to. I love my sweetie. I love my family, my pets, my friends. I love the folks at work. I really enjoy my job. I'm excited about starting classes again. I have an art room. Our house is cozy.

Too much of a good thing is not fun, but just enough is just perfect.

No comments: