Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I Hate The Gym

...but I do love flowers. Aren't these pretty? Terri gave them to me.

I went to the gym tonight. I hate the gym. Something about it turns me instantly into the dorkiest person in the room, completely uncoordinated, an eyesore. I feel so conspicuous, and very alone. I don't like the gym. But, I went. I ran a little bit on the treadmill (I hate the treadmill). I lifted weights. I tried out different machines. I have no idea how to work the machines. I ran a little bit more. I watched soccer. It wasn't too bad, but I felt so self-conscious the whole time. It makes me realize that I'm not actually all that self-conscious most of the time (which is a blessing). But damn, it's painful when that pops up. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. Do I need different gym clothes? That might help.

I always wish I had my dad with me at the gym. He's very good at explaining things. I'm too afraid to ask anyone else how to fiddle with the machines. So I fumble around by myself, desperately hoping no one will notice and come help me. If only I could disappear and figure it out while I was invisible.

Tomorrow's Halloween. We plan to walk around a certain Alameda neighborhood and watch all the cuties in their costumes. I love doing this. It's my own Halloween ritual. I say it every year: Alameda does Halloween right.

And then it's November 1st: NaBloPoMo. Blogging every day for a month. Come on over and see if I can do it! After NaBloPoMo, this blog's address will be changing to: nevertravelled.blogspot.com. After December 1st, this old (huge, long, cumbersome) address won't work anymore; I'll be at new new, zippy address. I'll keep posting reminders (and it's up in the left-hand corner. See?)

Happiest moment of the day: when I ran outside after the earthquake (oh, we had an earthquake tonight) and Terri was coming up the walkway with a big smile on her face. She knows I'm afraid of earthquakes.

She mentioned the other day that she has come around and likes our house and likes Alameda. It just took awhile. I felt really good when she said that -- like I could settle and be home. It makes a difference to like where you are, you know? We are loving our little apartment. I don't know why looking at the other cottage made such an impact, but after we looked at it, we both seemed to love our home even more. It fits us at this point in our lives. It has such nice cozy energy.

Terri is testing out meditation tracks on iTunes. It's making me sleepy.

1 comment:

wen said...

i hate the treadmill too, i pretty much dislike all cardio equipment except the elliptical (sometimes). i get around this by exercising outdoors...

most gyms give you a free training session or other orientation (to the machines). they don't expect you to know how to use them properly and it's in their (and your) best interest that you do...because it will keep you coming back.

you can get a book on lifting (or the machines) or bring a friend with you who knows her way around the machines, or hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions...just some thoughts...

and i felt the earthquake when we were in the car en route to dinner from the airport (i'd just flown in from nyc)...my gf thought it was the bart underground.

ever since a sharp earthquake woke me up out of a sound sleep and scared the beejezus out of me, i don't like them!!