Thursday, October 26, 2006

Academy of Art

It’s interesting how you can sit and sit and sit on a decision, or consider this option or that option, and then sometimes something will surprise you out of the blue and you act without really thinking.

Sometime in the last week, I decided to explore the option of taking a class or two a term towards getting my MFA in Illustration. I called the Academy of Art and got an advisor. I called the advisor today and set up an appointment. He told me to bring in some sample work and a really killer letter of intent.

And I didn’t even have to think about it very hard.

I get so caught up in trying to do the ‘right’ thing and what I think I ‘ought’ to do – not necessarily what I think others think I should do, but I somehow neglect to really listen to my heart. It’s as if I think that if my heart longs for it, somehow I should discount it. Isn’t that silly? But so common!

I have no idea what I might do with an illustration degree, but wouldn’t it be FUN? Wouldn’t it just be a dream come true to be able to draw like I’ve always wanted to? Wouldn’t it be a great thing to add to my growing list of Things I Want To Do When I’m Not In An Office Anymore?

I think so, too.

Stay tuned. My appointment is November 9th. I’m so nervous, but I feel really okay. I feel like, “Here’s my stuff. I feel like I have great potential. I think you’d be glad you accepted me.” Somehow I don’t feel like an imposter at all (this may change when I walk in the door). I feel like I’m an artist looking for an opportunity to grow. I feel like, given the opportunity and tools, I could really shine. Isn’t that what school is all about? Isn’t that what doing what you really want to do, all about?

No comments: