Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Really Good Weekend

(I will have pictures tomorrow)

So here was the (good) list I had suggested for myself this weekend:

* Browse new book and food blogs (half-heartedly done)
* Finish reading The Grotesque (done!)
* Make some origami (going to do next!)
* Buy frame for new owl painting, start painting (in progress!)
* Organize art stuff (partially done!)
* Make rice pudding (done -- twice!)
* Make new dinner recipe (got Chinese instead)
* Browse for bowls (done!)
* Go for walk; take camera (done!)

I did pretty good! In addition, I also managed to sweep and vacuum, do six (!!) loads of laundry, visit with a friend, do a couple small errands and buy a dining room table... I did all the chore-like activities yesterday so I could just do what I wanted today. That plan worked out great.

Can I just say how happy I am to have a dining room table? I am thrilled. I have wanted a real dining room table for the 10 years I've lived in California. I've had tiny kitchen tables, but not a real table. I found exactly what I wanted at a very good price (on clearance) and bought the floor model. As soon as it was in the dining room, I felt this little piece of a puzzle dropping into place in my heart. As if some long-held desire was finally fulfilled. Actually, that's exactly what it was. I don't know why the dining room table means so much to me, but it does. I'm absurdly pleased about it.

Today was lovely. I got up, made coffee, and shivered in the dining room for a little while eating breakfast and reading the news. Then I decided that I needed a vinyl tablecloth to cover the new table while doing art projects. I went to the Long's nearby (the biggest Long's EVER) and was dismayed to discover that apparently they only make intensely ugly vinyl tablecloths. I chose the least horrible of the bunch -- gold stripes on cream background, deciding it was 'baroque' -- and came home to paint. I was debating about background color -- I wanted red, but thought maybe it would be too much. Terri said to try it. So I did. I like it. It's kind of macabre.

The rest of the day followed suit -- nice, easy, very-low stress. I'm feeling quite relaxed. I'd forgotten what this felt like!

So, photos tomorrow. I think this plan of doing some chores on Saturday (mixed with some fun) and then just playing on Sunday is a very good plan.

1 comment:

Ana S. said...

Aaah, relaxation...I can vaguely remember what it feels like :P

I'm glad you had a nice weekend, Daphne!