Friday, October 03, 2008

Aging: A List

I read this on the lovely Eva's blog, although what she's doing writing about 'aging' I don't know, little 22-year-old kitten... anyway, seems like a good one since I just turned the ancient age of 34. (I edited out a couple questions that stumped me)

At a certain age women should: stop worrying obessessively about their looks and embrace their own loveliness and quirks. It looks so much better than being gaunt and trendy.

At a certain age men should: who cares? No, just kidding. Um, at a certain age, men should grow up already.

When I was a kid I thought: that someday I would know more than my dad.

Now that I am older I: realize that I'll never know as much as my dad... about some things. Like how to fix absolutely everything. Boy do I wish I could just download that knowledge into my own brain.

When I was in high school I listened to the music of: The Cure, The Smiths, Bauhaus, Love and Rockets, Sex Pistols, Depeche Mode, The Screaming Trees, Big Black, Pink Floyd

Nowadays I find I like the music of: All of the above, plus Bon Iver, Arcade Fire, Fleet Foxes, plus more 70s rock like Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. Plus some artsy hip-hop that Terri likes, and I always love Beethoven and Vivaldi. And I really like doing art while listening to Metallica.

On my last birthday I: had a fantastic day with Terri. It was great. Best chocolate cake ever.

On my next birthday I want: to have another one just like it, only maybe at a campground.

The best birthday present I ever got was: I don't know, but I am loving my new bathrobe a whole lot.

The first time I felt grown up was: Hmm, do I feel like a grownup yet? I felt pretty grownup (and scared) flying to Finland when I was 17. Even more so, flying back home all by myself at 18. I bought European fashion magazines at the airport and felt very sophisticated.

The last time I felt like a kid was: Uh, that would be "most days." Actually, riding home on my Razor felt pretty kid-like. That was yesterday.

Last year was: challenging, scary, but ultimately affirming and showed me what true strength and love is.

Next year I: Look forward to much more health and healing and deepening of love. And more fun!

1 comment:

Eva said...

I loved your answers; it's funny how flying makes you feel sophisticated, isn't it? :)

And I thought it was hilarious Emily tagged me for an ageing meme! But I figured I'd just go with it. ;)