Sunday, July 06, 2008

Unexpected Blooms

A few weeks ago, the African violet that has been languishing at my desk for the past three years (or more) suddenly started sprouting buds. All I did differently was move it literally about three feet to a different place on my desk. Suddenly, it's all happy and blossoming. (I hope it's survived this past week alone)

I am still feeling a little under the weather. My head is all stuffy and my ears are very full, and I've felt very tired all weekend. Today I felt a little more normal. I also felt much more relaxed than I have in a long time.

I was thinking about it today and I think I'm entering a good space. I've recently identified a need to spend at least one evening a week doing art. I still have a few more weeks before my next round of classes start, and I feel recovered from the Physio class, so my mind feels open. Things at work are going well, my brother is coming up with a personalized workout for me, and although I feel tired a lot, I'm feeling more ready to get back in shape.

One of my very best friends is in the area for the next two weeks, and that feels like an unexpected gift, coming at a very good time for me. Terri is starting to feel the tiniest bit better for short periods of time, which is so encouraging and a much-needed glimmer of hope. It feels like a corner has been turned... we were walking down this dark path with no idea where it was leading or when it might end, and now -- although we still don't know where it's going -- it feels like there is some hope and light within reach. Or almost within reach... but we're still moving foward. What a journey this has been. No wonder we're both exhausted.

Anyway. I'm hoping to take a few days off over the next two weeks to spend some time with D'Arcy and continue letting my body relax and recoup. I've been so wound up for so long, it feels good to kind of breathe out and have a little faith that things will be better soon. And not just blind faith, which I've been relying on, but seeing signs of healing. I have so much admiration for Terri who has fought so strongly against this horrible disease that's been eating up her life. She's still got a long, long road ahead of her but help is here and she's got the right tools now. I'm not very religious, but Praise Be. I am now a believer in prayer, because I have been praying my heart out every day for the past year.

No comments: