Friday, June 13, 2008

That's How The Light Gets In

Alameda beach at twilight...
Ring the bells that can still ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...
-Anthem, Leonard Cohen

Tonight I went for a run along the Alameda shoreline. It was kind of hard because it was into the wind, but I had my new iPod and my resolve. And it was fun. Once I got to the park, I shifted into a really good place in myself. All of a sudden I saw how happy everyone was, strolling in the beautiful evening, running with their kids, walking their dogs. There was a concert in the park tonight and everyone was out.

The light was so beautiful, and a favorite song was playing, and I stopped to look out over the water and enjoy the bay breeze. I felt so moved by how lucky I am to live here. So full of appreciation for Alameda, for this park, for the little beach and the peaceful water and the boats in the distance and the evening sun sparkling on everything. I really, really love living by the beach. This beach.

It sounds so hokey but I just loved everyone in the park right then, and was so happy. My troubles truly fell away for a few minutes as I jogged through the crowd. I was able to truly be in the moment, and fully feel happy and good and so, so lucky to be right there, right then.

I thought, as I crunched through the golden dry grass, that although I really don't know how everything is going to turn out, everything really is okay tonight. Sometimes it's not okay, it's just not. But tonight, it is. And I'm so thankful and happy.

And now I'm going to make this dinner that I've been looking forward to for a few days. I have exactly the right ponzu sauce, the right nori... I can't wait.

** updated: that dish was amazing. If you like avocado sushi (which I adore) then you will love that simple little dish. I am going to have it again and again and again.

No comments: