Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Bridge To Terabithia

Did anyone else read this book in elementary school (or maybe it was middle school)? I don't remember the first time I read it, but I've read it a few times since, and it's always such a shocking experience. It's beautifully written, and the story is -- by turns -- magical, moving, so real, and then tragic. It's one of those books that you carry with you forever.

They're making a movie of it. I'm not sure what I think about this. It's like the Lord of the Rings -- I loved those books and it was a whole world in my head, and I just wasn't sure if I could bear to see a movie made out of it. What if it didn't match? I don't know if Terabithia is on par with LOTR, but it's like, I have such tender feelings for this book, and I don't want them to wreck it.

(God, I just totally book-geeked out, didn't I?)

(But then, I'm like, oh no, did they ever make a movie of A Wrinkle In Time? That's another one.)

(And then there was this bizarre science-fiction-y flying carpet book. I've got to find that. I read so many books as a kid, sometimes one will pop into my head and I only remember certain details but I all of a sudden become obsessed with trying to remember it. It was like that with John Bellairs books, thank goodness I remembered!)

Yeah. Book geek. I can try to hide it, but it always comes out somewhere.

No comments: