Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I don't know how I feel about this...

I had my first Abnormal Psychology class tonight. It's going to be a small class, which is nice. The teacher seems like a nice guy and has taught this class for over 30 years, but I have some concerns. Although he talks in a real folksy manner, lots of stories and such, he kept using the word "crazy." As in, "How many of you out there are crazy folks?" "You can find crazy folks anywhere." "When I say 'crazy,' I don't mean it in a derogatory way."

Um.

So why are you saying it?

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt for a week or two... maybe he's using it as a way to make the inexperienced students feel comfortable? I don't even think that's an excuse. However, if he keeps using the word "crazy," I am going to have to say something because it actually really upsets me. I didn't want to be the obnoxious political-correctness police in the first class, but the more I think about it the more it bothers me.

Anyway. Other than that, it looks like it will be Piece Of Cake. We like cake.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would be bothered by that too. I hope he was only trying to get everyone's attention and doesn't go on like that. Good luck!

Carl V. Anderson said...

That is certainly worrisome. I work in the mental health field and whenever I say 'crazy' in the most innocent sense, like 'things have really been crazy around here' I feel the most tremendous guilt. Hope he can get a handle on this or it could be a long class.